Friday, May 10, 2013

Mother's Day fiction for children

The lack of a strong mother figure in the vast majority of children's literature is nothing new to note, but I'm really struggling to come up with enough books to merit a salute to strong mothers in juvenile fiction.  I only have Marmee from Little Women, Molly Weasley from the Harry Potter series, Meg's mom from A Wrinkle in Time, Ramona's mother and perhaps even Greg Heffley's mother if I strain myself. There must be more!

However, picture books are all about the Mama!  Try these faves for reading aloud on Mother's Day:

  • Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
  • My Mom by Anthony Browne
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna Dewdney
  • Because Your Mommy Loves You by Andrew Clements
  • T Rex and the Mother's Day Hug by Lois Grambling
  • Are You My Mother by P. D. Eastman
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses by Audrey Penn

Only one of these titles is specifically about Mother's Day, but all are about the special bond between a mother and child.

Happy Mother's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment